|An example seen in CNJ, a.k.a. Jersey Central colors, 1968.|
A total 299 of the Fairbanks Morse H-16-44, Bo-Bo type, road switcher was produced from 1950 to 1963. It shared an identical platform and carbody with the predecessor Model FM H-15-44 of which 35 were produced from 1947 to 1950 and were equipped with the same eight-cylinder opposed piston engine that had been uprated to from 1,500 hp to 1,600 hp (1,200 kW).
As with many of their F–M contemporaries, the H-16-44s produced through 1954 featured numerous Raymond Loewy design touches, in this case mostly in the form of sloping body lines and a noticeable protrusion in the long hood around the radiator shutters. Cab side window units include inoperable "half moon"-shaped panes, resulting in an oblong-shaped assembly. To reduce manufacturing costs, the curved window panes were eliminated from later models, and from 1953 onward the raised, elongated headlight mounting was omitted. Units built in the "Spartanized" fashion can be spotted by their straight ends, coupled with the lack of superfluous trim. Ventilation slots were added at the battery box to reduce the possibility of explosions. The final production phase, which commenced in March 1955, turned out units that most closely resembled the Fairbanks–Morse "Train Master" series. These smaller engines where sometimes called "Baby Train Masters", as opposed to the originals which had 12 wheels.
Of the 299 built, 209 were sold to American railroads, 58 were manufactured March 1955–June 1957 by the Canadian Locomotive Company for use in Canada, and 32 units were exported to Mexico. Only three intact examples of the H-16-44 are known to survive today; one is the property of a Canadian railroad historical society, while the others are owned by Chihuahua al Pacífico and displayed in front of two of their depots in Mexico. (adapted from wikipedia, see also the book shown)