Wednesday, January 20, 2010
former railway walks in NZ
A customer has asked, in response to our post of 6 January on the Rimutaka Incline Walk, what other walkways along former railway lines there are in NZ.
As far as we know, official walkways are:-
* Most of the former Little River Branch in Canterbury (pic above)
* All the old Otago Central Branch from Middlemarch to Clyde
* Part of the old Nelson section at Kawatiri
* Part of the old Dun Mountain Railway in Nelson
* Part of the former East Coast Main Trunk through the Karangahake Gorge
* Part of the former Motuhora Branch near Gisborne.
* More of the former Wairarapa line alignment can be walked through in the Rimutaka Forest Park north of Upper Hutt.
There may be unofficial walking tracks in other areas.
at 7:27 PM