Saturday, October 23, 2010
the old road-rail bridge over the Waitaki River
Still on the subject of the South Island Main Trunk railway, here are two pictures taken on the 2 km bridge over the Waitaki River, which as people know, marks the boundary between the Otago and Canterbury provinces.
The earlier picture was taken in 1914 and the later in 1955 (we don't know by who), the year before a new road bridge was built to replace it. Apparently the structure in the earlier photo - visible also in the later photo - is water tanks in case of a fire on the bridge. In steam locomotive days this was always a risk in the hot dry summer months.
at 1:54 PM