The station of Tarvis (Tarvisio in Italian, Trbiz in Slovenian) is close to the border of Austria and Slovenia and there was a railway line from Tarvisio (Tarvis) via Jesenice (Assling) to Ljubljana (Laibach) opened on 14 December 1870 as a part of the Austrian Kronprinz-Rudolf-Bahn. After the connection from Villach to Tarvisio was completed in 1873, there was a direct connection from Prague to Ljubljana, which already had been connected by the Südbahn with the imperial capital of Vienna since 1857.
In 1906 Jesenice was also directly connected with Villach and Klagenfurt through the Karawanken tunnel and the Karawanken line.
After 1918 the part of the line from Tarvisio to the Italian-Slovenian border became part of Italy, the rest to Yugoslavia. In 1967 the Italian section was closed, and two years later the section from the border to Jesenice.
Since 1992 the section Jesenice–Ljubljana has been operated by the Slovenske Železnice or SZ. Since the middle of the 1990s a cycleway has been created on most of the former roadbed in the Slovenian Save valley between Jesenice and Kranjska Gora.
|Actual lines in dotted black, proposed in bold dotted black and yellow.|