Saturday, September 28, 2013
the ship 'Ionic' in Wellington, 1889
A painting by CH Colborne from 1889 of the 19th century migrant ship Ionic which was in operation from 1883 to 1908. A bit of 'artistic license' was applied to Mt Victoria on the left.
Data according to the ships nostalgia website: 4,753 GRT; steel construction; single screw, two 2-cylinder compound steam engines arranged in tandem, 500 nhp, 14 knots service speed; 70 first and 900 third class passengers. Placed on the White Star-Shaw, Savill & Albion London – Cape Town – Hobart – New Zealand – Cape Horn – London service. Re-engined with quadruple expansion steam engine in 1894. Sold to Aberdeen Line in 1900 and renamed Sophocles. Withdrawn 1906 and scrapped 1908
at 8:01 AM