|Low nose unit T390.|
In July 1969 an additional "flat top" unit was bought second hand from Australian Portland Cement who had ordered it for use at its narrow gauge Fyansford Cement Works Railway, Geelong in 1956. This was numbered T413. Another, T414, came from BHP used at their Iron Knob and Whyalla Steelworks; it was built in November 1956 as DE02.
In 1984-1985 Martin & King of Somerton, Melbourne, rebuilt 13 "flat tops" as P class locomotives. This involved a new cab and carbody, replacing the EMD 8-567C engine with an EMD 8-645E, replacement of the main generator and traction motors, and provision of a separate head end power generator.
The majority of them still exist; only 34 have been scrapped.
(info condensed from wikipedia)